Couple of weeks ago we came across important questions for selecting secure messaging apps for businesses. Many people have asked us, what consumers should take care of when selecting a private and secure messaging app? Ideally a provider of a messaging app should answer all the following questions with YES. Here we go:
1. Is the transmission of the messages and all communications between the app and the server protected with an SSL encryption?
2. Are the messages and content end-to-end encrypted? Meaning: Only the sender and the receiver of a message can read it (this is quite important)?
3. Are the messages stored in a completely encrypted form on the server?
4. Is the provider not able to read the messages on the server?
5. Does the provider completely anonymize user accounts, messaging logs and profiles, and thus fully protect the privacy of users?
6. Your address book data is only stored on your device, and not stored on the servers of the provider?
8. Is there a regular backup of the data on the server?
9. Is all data stored on servers outside of the USA (where it cannot be easily accessed by US government agencies)?
10. Is the provider of the messaging app based outside of the USA (again: thus cannot be easily accessed by US government agencies)?
A lot of messaging apps claim to be completely safe and encrypted. However, there are huge differences between providers as you can tell by this questionnaire. Not a lot of apps can answer all questions with YES. You will have to judge by yourself, what questions and topics are most important for you, and thus select a private and secure messaging app for your needs.